On Air

Amber Vandale

How to protect yourself from the "Silent Killer" gas

14.11.2017 13:06
By: Matthew Higgs

A carbon monoxide leak in a Winnipeg home sent three people to hospital over the weekend


Brandon, MB (CKLQ) - A carbon monoxide leak in a Winnipeg home sent three people to hospital over the weekend.

It was caused by as-powered generator.

Brandon Fire Prevention Officer Kevin Groff says there are plenty of things to do, to make your home safe from a dangerous leak.

"Have your furnace and chimneys clean, and check them every year."

The gas is known as the "silent killer" because it is odourless and can't be detected without a carbon monoxide detector.

Another good way to protect yourself, is to leave a window open or get fresh air, so gas can leave the home if need be.