There are spots for up to 5 families for Brandon's Habitat for Humanity housing program - 3 for the 2021 build year, and 2 for 2022.
Habitat vice-president of marketing Michelle Pereira says the program helps modest income families get into their own homes by providing no-interest, renewable 15-year
mortgages with no down payment.
The minimum requirements include:
1. The applicant must be employed for a minimum of the past two years in the community in which the house will be built. Must be working at time of application.
2. Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
3. Must not be receiving income from Employment & Income Assistance (social assistance).
4. Must be ready to live where Habitat is building in Brandon, Manitoba
5. Must be willing to complete 500 sweat equity hours (volunteering) prior to house possession.
6. Preference will be given to families with young children.
7. Present housing must be at least one of the following: too expensive, too small, unsafe, or substandard; applicants cannot currently own a house.
8. Prepared to purchase a home at market value and able to commit to a mortgage. Monthly mortgage payments (which include property taxes) are 27% of total family income as defined on line 150 of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment.
9. Total family income as defined on line 15000 of the CRA Notice of Assessment must be less than $75,592. Minimum income to qualify for the program is determined by build project.
10. Must be willing to provide the most recent CRA Notice of Assessment, as well as consent for Habitat to contact references from employer, landlord, and 2 other people who know the family well.
11. Must be willing to provide your last 3 pay statements from all jobs and 2 months of all bank and financial statements, including credit card statements.
12. Must consent to a credit check.
13. Must be at least 3 years since a bankruptcy has been discharged.
Brandon Habitat's community engagement manager Bonnie Mills says if you apply soon, you could be in your new home by next February at the earliest. The builds will take place on Frederick Street.
If your family is interested in applying contact Bonnie by calling 204-717-0602 or emailing email@example.com