On November 23, 2022, at approximately 6:25 pm, Souris RCMP responded to an elementary school in Shilo, Manitoba, following a report that children had become ill during the school day.
Officers attended and were informed that three students, between the ages of 5 and 9 years old, had become ill during the day. One child had to be transported to hospital by ambulance. The other two children were transported to hospital by their parents. All were treated and released.
It was later determined that the children had inadvertently ingested cannabis gummies on the school bus that morning.
"At this point, we believe a child brought the edibles onto the bus and shared them with the other children thinking it was candy," said Corporal Julie Courchaine of the Manitoba RCMP. "We continue to investigate and are working with the school and the parents who were affected."
The RCMP would like to remind everyone to:
-Store all cannabis products in a locked box or container, and separate from regular food and drinks.
-Ensure these products are labeled.
-Be extra careful with edible cannabis, which can be mistaken for regular food, drink and candy.
For more information visit: